Blocking websites for parental control is a good option available in today’s browsers. You can easily control the websites which can be viewed and rest can be blocked. As explained in one of our earlier posts you can easily block websites in Internet Explorer with the help of its inbuilt options. Also in Google Chrome websites can be blocked with the help of a simple addon. Same facility is available in Firefox 4, but you have to use right addons to block websites. Today we will cover those Firefox 4 addons which can help you in blocking websites easily.
How to Block Websites in Firefox 4
The addons which can be used for blocking websites in Firefox 4 are following:
BlockSite is a beautiful extension which block websites of your choice quite efficiently. Besides blocking the website, it also disables all hyperlinks to those websites. It just shows link text and removes the clicking functionality. Once installed you need to follow these steps to use BlockSite for blocking websites.:
- Click on the Firefox button at the top left corner of your Firefox 4. You can also open addons by pressing CTRL+Shift+A from your keyboard.
- In a new tab, Add-ons manager will open. Click on “Extensions” in left sidebar of addons manager and then look for BlockSite. Once found click its “options” present just next to disable and remove buttons.
- This will open a new window for “BlockSite Preferences“.
- Check the option for “Enable authentication” and set a password as per your choice.
- Now click on “Add” button to add a website which you wish to block.
- Click OK when you are done adding.
Now next time whenever that blocked website will be accessed, Firefox 4 would give a warning instead of opening it.
You can also export your list of websites which you added in that block list. The only downside of this addon is that while it can be easily removed or disabled without even asking for the set password.
FoxFilter is a personal content filter which helps in blocking websites as per your choice. You can easily block websites associated with explicit content or inappropriate content. All filtering features are free whereas premium features are available on payment of small support fee. FoxFilter already contain many keywords related to porn websites or gambling websites. Due to this, it can easily analyze the content of a website and block it accordingly.
The best feature of FoxFilter is that it provides you with the ability to secure your settings which cannot be bypassed or removed by uninstallation or disabling addon; due to the set password.
So with the help of these highly efficient addons, one can easily block websites in Firefox 4. In one of our post, we also mentioned one universal method which can be used to block website in any browser. This method involves editing of Hosts File. By editing Hosts file websites can blocked in any browser.