Windows users know very well the importance of Start menu. It provides many options. In fact many people access many of the programs from start menu only. In the very same start menu, Windows provide a facility of displaying user name. No matter how many user accounts you have on Windows, every time when you change the user account Start menu will show you the current username.
However if you want to remain anonymous then you can remove the username from being displayed in Start menu. This is what we will discuss today that how you can remove your user name in Start menu. Since we all know that many people are using different versions of Windows, so we have separated the steps involved in this process according to operating system.
Remove User Name from Start Menu in WINDOWS XP
- Click on Start menu and select Run or Press Windows key + R.
- When the Run window appears in front of you, type “regedit” and hit “OK” to open the registry editor.
- Navigate for the following key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer
- Click on “Explorer”. Right click anywhere in the right pane and select “New” and click on “DWORD Value”.
- Now type “NoUserNameInStartMenu” as the name of new value.
- Double click on this set value and type “1” user the space given for “Value”.
- Click “OK” and you are done.
This is the way you can remove the user name from Start menu in Windows XP.
Remove User Name from Start Menu in WINDOWS VISTA & WINDOWS 7
- Right click on “Start” menu and select “Properties”.
- Click the Start menu tab for more options.
- Click on “Customize”
- Now scroll down and look for option for “Personal Folder”.
- Click “OK” and then Apply the new settings.
That’s it. This is how you can become anonymous and hide your username in any of your Windows OS.